Thursday, August 12, 2010

End Game (Kind of) and News and Notes.....

So I have my release date, next Tuesday, August 17th. As of 10am that day I am a free man. At 10:15am on Tuesday you can find me in the Champagne Room of the Hustler Club celebrating freedom with some very special 'nurses'. I kid. I kid.

Release will be nice and the last week of therapy has been working towards that. Strengthening, range of motion, balance. Therapy has turned aggressive, I am busting my ass trying to get stronger and the therapists are trying to arm me with all the movements and skills to succeed in the outside world. Practicing movements standing without crutches, like I was working in the kitchen, working on moving over uneven terrain, transferring in and out of the shower, going up stairs with or without railings, etc.. A bit nerve wracking.

My parents get back in on Monday so they will be here to help. Right now and for the next little bit I won't be able to be alone for extended periods. Its funny, just yesterday I was walking with Oscar, a very nice assistant in the therapy sessions, we were just chatting and walking and in a split second I caught my toe on my heel as I turned a corner, knees buckle and I was about to go down in a heap. He caught me with no problem, but it just goes to show you no matter how comfortable and good I feel, the smallest misstep can lead to disaster. Even as things get better I have to be cautious and limit the risky choices.

As for the fire things are alright. Huge sections of the ceiling and walls are gone, a few more sections may go. But the worse seems over for our apartment. Naomi and a host of friends (thanks Barry, Shinique, Karin, DJ, Jaret, St. John, Daniel and everyone else) have all chipped in, cleaned the apartment and done everything they can to make my move home as smooth as possible. Its been a real blessing.

And lastly, Naomis family is in town which I think is great for her. Her sister is getting married this weekend in Westchester so her dad and brother stopped by yesterday which was very nice. I obviously won't be attending but will be there in spirit. More importantly though, after all Naomi has gone through and has done over the last month and a half I think being surrounded by loved ones for a few days is just what she needs.

A few more updates over the next few days and then all correspondence from this blog will be coming from The Scott Andresen Rehabilitation Clinic and Chicken Shack in beautiful Clinton Hill Brooklyn. I am really looking forward to being in familiar surroundings. Six weeks of hospital food is just about enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment